Making Money is not evil - being poor is evil...


Making Money is not evil - being poor is evil...
It’s a quote from a book I just finish reading : Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad Poor Dad.
It’s an interesting read - I know I’ve read it twice and the reason why I bring up this topic “Making Money” is because of the economy. Really - I look at my kids and I wonder … have I wasted my life. Have I been so busy in the pursuit of my own happiness that I can’t offer more for my children because I thought wanting to make more money was “evil”… or maybe because I was scared or too lazy to try?

This kind of book - how to make money or the mentality behind it really makes you think.

making money is not evilYes I know - I’m not trying to make it rich or even become rich over night. But I do have that urge to do more, make a little extra so my kids can have it easy. If anything - learn a couple of money managing or wealth building skills I could teach my kids so they don’t end up like dear old dad - a slave to a job - always wondering if this recession or hard time will destroy all my dreams [ if I have any ].

What parent doesn’t want the best for their kids and who doesn’t dream of “making money effortlessly” … I mean seriously! It’s not like it can’t be done - People today are making money sitting at home. You have people who make six figure incomes because they came up with some lame application for the iphone that millions just had to buy.

The other reason I bring up the “money and how to make it” plus the mentality behind how you think and spend your money - is because of my loving wife. We are on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to money. I am more of a saver thinking of tomorrow and she is more of a “lets have fun today before we die tomorrow” kind of person. Which really makes it difficult when it comes to money and our finances.

I’m trying to get my daughter to read - Rich Dad Poor Dad
, by Robert T. Kiyosaki…
Not because I want her to be money hungry but rather I want her to think differently when it comes to money. In today’s economic crisis - millions of people are learning that having a job is not having security. We are all learning that depending on the government truly is more riskier than playing the stock market.

Wanting Better for your Kids Financially

Really is it bad to want better for your kids, financially speaking? Or maybe just the chance to change the way your kids look and think about money and how it works. I went to the book store yesterday and saw hundreds of posters and stickers about “buy 2 get one free” deals. Everyone is hurting in this economy - but the wealthy or smart people weather it better because they have options and a deferent mind set - as where regular people like me are stuck making money [income] at a dead end job. If you love your job, career hey that’s great. But when the kids ask for toys, milk or an unexpected expense comes along that breaks your bank - you only have X amount of dollars to work with because your boss is not going to give you a raise.

I watch the gas pump like a hawk [ not that it does me any good ] and at my job [ where I make most of my money after taxes ] I see people purchase with the gas pump in mind. I mean that people will say things like - “I have to watch my pennies, gas is too high”. Why, because even with a job - we live on a fixed income and every time gas goes up, food prices go up - our dollar [ spending power ] drops.

No I don’t want my kids to be greedy make money at all cost kind of people. But I do want them to think different, see the world different. Have the insight to take educated risk and plan wisely for the future. Rather than be like dad and save , save , save and be no farther ahead than I was 20 years ago. Or worse - be like Mom and millions of other Americans who live for today and now 20 years later still can’t see that their no better off than they were before.

Growing old and finding out that making money was important

I watch my father in-law who only has a year to go before he retires at age 50. It’s great that he has a job that gives him that ability - but he wonders if he could afford to retire. He is concerned with the fact that the money he makes, the money he saved, … will it be enough for him to live a comfortable life? I listen to him and wonder - what will I be thinking, doing when it’s time for me to retire - will I be able to retire?

Do I want my kids to do the same or can I teach them to do things, think in ways that will better them in the long run. That when they reach age 40, or 50 they could retire with little worries and if they work, it’s because they want to - not because they need to make money in order to survive.

I'm not talking making them into millionairs - just better off than me.

No comments :

Post a Comment